Sony PlayStation 4 set to get multi-core CPU

Have a read and let us know what you think.
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

PS4 will wave goodbye to the Cell
By Adam Hartley
The Cell processor - soon to be 'last gen' according to latest Japanese reports on PS4's internal architecture

Sony is working on developing a multi-core central processing unit (CPU) for the PlayStation 4, according to Japanese sources.

Japanese website PC Watch Impress reports that Sony is already developing new alternatives to the PS3's Cell architecture, which will come as great news to the legions of games developers that have struggled (and are still struggling) to fully get to grips with the PS3's difficult-to-master CPU.

Sony was initially looking towards Intel's Larrabee and also at a modified version of the Synergistic Processor Unit, but is now reportedly focusing on new designs centred on a multi-core CPU.

PS4, Xbox 720, Wii HD
Nintendo and Microsoft are also reported to be looking at new console CPU technology – although the real surprise would be if anybody actually thought for a second that they were NOT developing their cash-cow gaming hardware!

Japan's PC Watch Impress claims that it takes around 24 months to produce new consoles, with some speculating that we are looking at late 2012 or 2013 any beyond before we see PS4 or Xbox 720 or even Wii HD.

PC Watch Impress adds that we should see new handheld consoles before we see new home consoles, which isn't much of a claim, as both Sony and Nintendo seem to refresh their PSP and DS range on an annual basis, with the latest PSPgo and DSi XL both currently wowing gamers in Japan.
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
GRASSASS
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Sony PlayStation 4 set to get multi-core CPU

Post by GRASSASS »

OMG concept or not i want that crystal pad 8-)
a flashing frenzy huh huh
wcnormjv120
Peasant
Peasant

Post by wcnormjv120 »

Sounds Great, I read in Game Informer Magizine that Microsoft would like the 360 to have at least a ten year life cycle, which is very possible given the success Sony has with the PS2. There would have to be a pretty impressive upgrade for me to stop playing the 360 and purchase a 720. How much better can they get?
ishthemienguy
Peasant
Peasant

Post by ishthemienguy »

wcnormjv120 wrote:Sounds Great, I read in Game Informer Magizine that Microsoft would like the 360 to have at least a ten year life cycle, which is very possible given the success Sony has with the PS2. There would have to be a pretty impressive upgrade for me to stop playing the 360 and purchase a 720. How much better can they get?

well, I hope they can come up with a system that doesn't break down after 1 and 1/2 years of use...
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

ishthemienguy wrote:I hope they can come up with a system that doesn't break down after 1 and 1/2 years of use...
:D :D :D
all to ture
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
conan281
Bandit
Bandit

Post by conan281 »

Wow this is my fist look into PS4
lite-on:5
lite-on 83:1 (almost messed up)