MS-25, totally clueless...please help

The place for more technical questions about modding your Xbox 360!
Morphx2
Peasant
Peasant

MS-25, totally clueless...please help

Post by Morphx2 »

Hi everyone,

When I lived in Miami, I had a friend install a modchip and flash it. Right now my MS-25 drive is Xtreme 4.2A. Obviously its old and it is time to reflash it...unfortunately I moved to New Mexico. I already opened my xbox to fix the red-ring, but I have no idea whatsoever about reflashing it. I do have my original key or whatever it is on the CD that he gave me.

So what hardware do I need to reflash it? Most of the guides I see are for first time flashing and not reflashing. Are there any tutorials about reflashing the MS25? Jungleflasher looks pretty easy to use...just not sure how to use it (if you know what I mean). If anyone can help me with this, that would be wonderful..its been on my mind for a while!
technoe
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Re: MS-25, totally clueless...please help

Post by technoe »

Well anytime you flash a Samsung drive like the one you've got you do it exactly the same whether or not it's been flashed before. The hardest part about JF is getting your PC setup to use it. If all you're going to flash is your sammy you'll need a VIA 6421A or L Sata Raid Card or compatible chipset usually nVidia and Intel chipsets work fine. But to save yourself some hassle you might as well get the card. A connectivity kit, any version that has a molex adapter and drive power with an on/off switch should be suffice. Then just follow one of the many tutorials on flashing with JF.
Today Money, Tomorrow the WORLD!!
Morphx2
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Morphx2 »

Do I need that original CD for anything or is it just a souvenier from the first time it was flashed?

Can you recommend a good connectivity kit that isnt that expensive?
Morphx2
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Morphx2 »

more help please with my previous question? I have a friend in Santa Fe that was going to do it..but he keeps saying hes too busy all the time, so i think i am going to do it
grandview
Merry Men
Merry Men

Post by grandview »

i would use iprep....you can get it off this website...its the same steps as you would see first time flashing...you need a via chip set...via 6421...you can find it off ebay for about 5.00 dollars and a bootable flash stick....i would use ix1.5. so just follow the video that matches your drive...good luck
Morphx2
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Morphx2 »

I didnt flash it the first time, so iprep seems kinda confusing.

So do I need that original firmware CD for anything in jungleflasher? Or do I put on that dummy file or whatever it is that jungleflasher has on to it?
technoe
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by technoe »

Samsungs are really straight forward. And iPrep would probably be your best bet. Install iPrep V.009 download the latest ixdef.xml file paste it in the Resources folder of iprep. Then follow this tutorial. http://www.robinhoodsplayground.com/for ... 195&t=3558" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I know it says 8.8 but they're identical.
Morphx2
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Morphx2 »

Thanks again :D

Another side question..not sure if I am allowed to ask it, but what is a good place to buy the connectivity kit from? Divineo seems like the only place, and shipping is almost as much as the part!! I am in the United States too. Maybe someone can PM me the info if it cant be posted?

Also, I see a version 2 and 3 for the connectivity kit; any difference?
technoe
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by technoe »

We have a great retailer review check it out here.
http://www.robinhoodsplayground.com/for ... 184&t=3091" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RedFarmer
Peasant
Peasant

Post by RedFarmer »

Just wanted to clear out that you don't need a connectivity kit to be able to flash, it just makes it a bit easier. Without the kit you can power the drive with the 360 instead.
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

RedFarmer wrote:Without the kit you can power the drive with the 360 instead.
that is right
BUT
we dont support flashing that way
unless we have to.

most of us believe the console could be logging the fact it was started up with out a dvd drive hooked up.
as far as M$ is concerned the only reason for that to happen is for modding.
and in the end could get you banned.
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
Morphx2
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Morphx2 »

Ok!

I have the parts coming. I got the opening the 360 parts (I did it without it last time..but it was annoying) and the connectivity kit!

So when flashing the Samsung. Do I need to do anything with my original dvd key? I have it on a CD. Do I have to flash it to stock first or anything? Any other things I might run into since the firmware is so old on that drive (Xtreme 4.2A)? The video tutorial seems pretty simple.

Morphx2
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Morphx2 »

anyone? :)
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

When flashing a samsung or benq, you treat it just like it has never been flashed before. The key in a functioning drive will still be in the drives flash chip. You have a backup, which is a good thing because if that drive dies and you didn't have the key, your console would be useless. But since you have they key, if the drive died, you could get yourself a new drive and spoof it with that key to replace the ms-25.

Short answer, you shouldn't need to worry about the key, just treat it like it was never flashed before.
Sadalius

No questions by PM please
Morphx2
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Morphx2 »

Thanks for everyones help :)

Took a while to open the 360 and get that stupid RAID card to work..then I forgot that only certain ports on the RAID card work and thats why it didnt see my drive...but in the end it went well and it worked :)

Return to “360 DVD Drive Flashing”